I was pleasantly surprised and honored over the weekend to discover that SolisticeSon’s Celebrational Servings had nominated A Green(ish) Life for a Liebster Blog Award! The Liebster Award is essentially a way for bloggers to help promote other bloggers that they feel should be noticed. SolsticeSon became one of the first followers of A Green(ish) Life fairly soon after I launched it as my new blog, which was exactly the point of starting again from square one. My original blog had evolved into something very different than when it had started, and I felt that by starting anew I could better focus on meeting other like-minded bloggers online, without any of the old baggage. And with this nomination, I had the opportunity to check out the other amazing blogs that SolsticeSon nominated me with – which again, was exactly the point!
So without further ado, here’s how it works: I answer 11 questions, list 11 random facts about me, then propose 11 questions for my nominees to answer. Payin’ it forward!
My Q & A:
If you could do anything without the fear of failure, what would you do?
This is always an odd question for me, since I can’t think of any times that I’ve let an opportunity pass me by because I was afraid of failing. If anything, I tend to plow ahead regardless of whether it’s the best/most successful idea, because, well, it’s what I want to do!
What do you love doing, but don’t spend enough time doing?
I love browsing through the vintage craft books in my crafty room and choosing whatever project looks good! I always feel much more relaxed and centered after letting out some creative energy. Another thing I love doing but really need to motivate myself to do more of (especially in the wintertime) is go for long walks out in nature.
What’s your favorite habit and why?
I take photos of practically everything, with either my Nikon p80 or my recently acquired iPhone. I’m glad I do this because it not only makes me pause for a moment and be completely present, but it helps me to document my life as it’s speeding by. I have the absolute worst memory (except when it comes to a grudge), and I love going through old photos and remembering good times.
Do you like traveling to new countries or domestically?
Both! I’ve made some fabulous international trips, but would have to say that the one place that far exceeded my huge expectations was New Orleans, right here in the grand USA. I blame this snobbiness on the fact that I lived in NYC for 10 years, so most other cities pale in comparison. I would love to do more traveling, but with money being an issue, I’m focusing on exploring more of eastern Canada (the bridge is only 15 minutes away!).
If you were to move somewhere or at visit for a month plus, where would it be?
I would love love love to visit Australia and move to Ireland. Both have always been high on my bucket list – maybe someday!
Snorkel or scuba? Lake, river, ocean or pool?
Neither. I’m actually not extremely comfortable in/under-water. I mean, I can swim, but I never got the hang of diving and mostly go in the water to cool off. I blame this on being forced to do frigid, early-morning swim time at summer camp wearing rubbery swim caps. I don’t mind being on boats however, which is good since I live/work in the 1000 Islands on the St. Lawrence River, for an organization that conserves land on the islands!
What’s one of your favorite meal?
I don’t so much have favorite meals as random fave foods. I love marinated artichokes, brussel sprouts or asparagus cooked in olive oil with black pepper, everything bagels, fruit fruit all fruit, cheese cheese all cheese, a really good burger, spring rolls with duck sauce, edemame, fresh veggies from the garden, homemade cookies, thanksgiving stuffing…I prefer to eat little bits throughout the day instead of large meals. Tapas is seriously the best thing ever invented.
“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb. I think too many people operate under the self-serving, every man/woman for him/herself philosophy, which does nothing to further humanity as a whole. If people cared less about making money and getting ahead of everyone else, and more about doing things for others (but not in a way that only serves to draw attention to themselves), the world would be a better place.
Watch a movie or make a movie? On what?
I briefly toyed with the idea of going into film editing in college, but now I’m just a great appreciator of movies. My tastes are kind of all over the place, but I will always sit down to watch an interesting documentary – on nature, history, famous people or events – it all fascinates me.
If you could change the world in one way, what would it be?
As one of my teacher’s once said “Forget about revolutionizing the world. Work for the joy of working, and without intending to, you will help to change your corner of the world.” I truly believe (as everyone should) that the work I do now can change, however slightly, my corner of the world.
Bike or drive?
I do love to bike around my street, but I unfortunately live a little too far away to bike to work. I wish it was otherwise, but it’s one of the trade-offs that occurred with choosing country over city livin’.
11 Random Facts:
- Took tap and jazz (jazz-hands!) for 8 years when I was a kid
- Can be extremely social but also really need my alone time
- Am definitely a cat-person, but having a dog for the past couple of years has tempted me to the other side
- Love wearing bright floral or Hawaiian print clothes in the summer
- Collect owl figurines and parrot earrings
- Do not like olives or black licorice
- Feel that I’m fairly approachable, but suspect that not too many people actually know me well
- Get teared up at really stupid sentimental commercials on TV
- Have had so much dental work done that I can kind of meditatively tune-out in the dentist chair and almost fall asleep
- Used to work at a porn magazine before returning to the green(ish) life
- Can honestly say I’ve led a pretty interesting life so far…
11 Questions for The Next Nominees:
- Do you think social media and communicating online is helping/hurting human connection?
- What does “being green” mean to you?
- Do you do any gardening (indoor/outdoor, rural/urban)?
- You get to fly anywhere for free – where do you go and why?
- You get a large sum of money, but have to give it to one charity – who do you give it to?
- You get a large sum of money, but have to spend it on yourself – what do you buy?
- Favorite movie and why?
- What guilty pleasure song/album can be found in your iTunes or movie in your DVD collection?
- Favorite artwork and why?
- Best advice you ever got?
- What has inspired you lately?
Here are the rules
1. Thank your Liebster Blog Award Presenter on your blog and link back to their blog
2. Answer the 11 questions from the nominator, list 11 random facts about yourself and create 11 questions for your nominees.
3. Present the Liebster Blog Award to 11 blogs of 200 followers or less who you feel deserve to be noticed and leave a comment on their blog to let them know they’ve been chosen.
4. Copy and Paste the blog award on your blog.
And My Nominees Are (and yeah, I know, some have more than 200 followers):
Photo of Marion Cotillard winning the best actress Oscar award Sunday for her role in “La Vie en Rose” from some shady Chinese entertainment site that I do not want to link back to from my blog!